Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Quilts of Summer

When summer finally comes to the Northwest, I always think I'm going to have all this time to sit on the deck, sipping iced tea, enjoying the flowers and vegetables I've planted and planning some new quilt projects.  I don't know why I ever think this because summer is never like that idyllic fantasy.  The flowers and veggies do not plant themselves, weed themselves or pick and deadhead themselves.  How selfish of them.  I won't even get into all the things that the dogs don't do for themselves. 

In addition to all of the above, sunshine gives me energy and makes me want to quilt.  The thing is, I hate to waste too much sun being inside.  The obvious summertime answer is smaller quilts or simpler quilts.  Let's start with smaller quilts.

When I say small, I mean postcards.  These quick projects can be sent through the mail (to someone who really deserves it and will appreciate it), collected, traded or displayed. 
The one above is especially quick and easy.  I did it in about an hour.  The design is fused and edge stitched.  The top is mounted on Timtex, quilted and the "postcard" back is added.  The edges can be bound or satin stitched. 


The sunflowers had more pieces and took a bit longer, but seriously, it was an easy project.  Details were quilted in, which because the whole piece is only 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches, was not a big drama.  My big goal for summer: peaceful and drama free.  I'll let you know if that ever happens. 

These two postcards and one more that's a beach scene will be available as a pattern on the website in a few days. 

Next time:  Lemonade Stand - the easy summer quilt.

I've resisted (mostly) the temptation to whine about our cool and rainy spring.  In truth, although it can be dreary here in winter and spring, we don't generally have much severe weather.  Given the fact that big chunks of the south and midwest have had bouts of VERY severe weather, our wet spring isn't really such a big deal.  Our thoughts and prayers are with those who are dealing with cleanup and rebuilding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment