Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Actual Quilting

I love the whole process of quilting from picking or designing a pattern to choosing fabric, assembling the top and quilting.  Okay, so sewing down the binding isn't part of the thrill.  By then I'm ready to be finished and work on something else.

There was a time when I hand quilted everything.  It took forever, but it was an incredibly cool look and there's a peacefulness to it.  Then I had children and reality set in.  Quilting time was precious (as it continues to be) and I learned to drop the feed dogs, attach a foot that wasn't actually made for the machine and quilt some straight lines.  I'm not sure why I thought straight lines would be easy or even doable. Some of those early machine quilted projects were not all I'd hoped for.  (This last would be a huge understatement.)  Then I learned to stipple  While I don't do stippling much these days, it's a great way to learn to relax and get the rhythm of machine quilting.   The long and short of it is wavy lines are easier to quilt.  

Two sewing machines later, I'm in love with machine quilting. The first machine I quilted with was from 1985 and it really wasn't meant to quilt. The next machine was designed for quilters and it worked much better. Sewing machine manufacturers have heard the cries of the legions of quilters who wanted better quilting and more room to maneuver.  My  newest machine quilts smoothly and has more room for excess quilt and makes me feel SO much more talented. (Thanks, Mom.)  

I spent a bunch of last week quilting "Lemonade Stand."  Lots of it is leaves.  Leaves are probably the easiest thing to quilt.  They don't have to look alike, they come in a variety of shapes and if one is a little goofy, I just assume the aphids got it.



 Along with the leaves "Lemonade Stand" called for some lemons.  So the border has lemon slices.







 And of course, some lemonade.



Drawing with a sewing machine is actually a lot easier than it seems.  What it mostly takes is practice.  Start with a simple drawing or get some ideas from machine quilting books. Perfection is overrated and not the point; stitching your impressions of leaves or lemons or space aliens is what makes your quilt special.

Quilting "Lemonade Stand" reminded me of my last hand-quilted project, "Citrus Salad." The look is simple and stylized.d


Actually, this one is an orange, but you get the drift. 




If you aren't as confident in your quilting skills as you'd like to be, use smaller thread in a color that blends. Often I go blendy anyway if the quilt top is fairly busy to begin with.  (If blendy isn't a real word, it should be.).  The point is to attach top, batting and back in a way that pleases you.  It's a big part of what makes a quilt your own personal work of art. 

"Citrus Salad" is available on the pattern page of our website, www.mobquilts.com.  "Lemonade Stand" is coming soon. 

Quilt with passion!

No comments:

Post a Comment