Thursday, October 18, 2012

Sunny Days and Green Tomatoes

We're enjoying what looks to be our last sunny fall day for a while.


 It's been the warmest, sunniest fall in recent memory and I'm loving it.  I still have lots of tomatoes on the vine and we'll have a batch of fried green ones for dinner tonight.



The only problem with a glorious fall is that while I'm outside messing around in the garden and planting Halloween pansies, quilting is not happening.

  I have three tops all sandwiched and ready to quilt, a Christmas gift quilt in the midst of being cut out and some fun Christmas fabric just mocking me from across the room.  Christmas fabric can be so sassy.



Since today is a (theoretically) undisturbed day at home, I indulged in a few minutes of laying in bed this morning listening.  I read somewhere that this is a good creative exercise and I must admit that there was plenty to hear this morning.  My husband is an early riser (who wisely gave up on my lack of merry sunshine attitude at the crack of dawn) so I hear water running and the bells on the door when he lets the dogs out.  There's a school bus, some other dog barking and Toby's answer.  The desk chair squeaks when my husband site down to read his email.  There's a train whistle in the distance and bells again as the dogs come in.  They pound up the stairs like a small buffalo herd and have their morning wrassle  including  all the doggie sound effects.  This game is mostly leaping around with snorting and snarling noises.  No living human being could sleep through this.  Just to make sure, Toby bumps his nose into mine.  I hear the garage door open and a car start.  My husband is already on his way to work and I'm still listening to the sounds of life all around me.  The phone has yet to ring, there are no sirens and no complaints.  It's already a good day.



The sun beckons me outdoors and when it warms up a bit, I'll go pick tomatoes and dead-head the pansies.  Until then, I'll let the sun shine into the studio and actually sew something.


No comments:

Post a Comment