Thursday, July 24, 2014

Summer!

Mid-July is the peak of summer here.  Little veggie starts have become a jungle and I've already picked three zucchini at the perfect size.



  I'm training the plants up tomato cages so I have a shot at seeing the fruits of my labor before they're the size of baseball bats.

I still have to really get in among the leaves to find them all as they like to hide from me.  Lock your cars up, folks, or someone will leave you a bag of zucchini!

I planted some dahlia bulbs this spring just to add something new to the front yard.  They're now big and bushy and just starting to bloom.  They seem to like my front yard.



I finished the top of another Blue Star Mothers quilt.  This one is square - 5 blocks by 5 blocks.  I actually started it last summer but then new Halloween fabric came out . . .  All the reds and blues were large scraps from the stash and toward the end a couple of strips and triangles got pieced.



 The challenge was to have the large red squares be the same fabric.


This seems pretty straightforward until you realize that the corners of that block are actually part of the block next to it.  So each block like the one below has four different reds and the red triangles have to be in the right place to match the blocks around it.


This requires a design wall (or really good notes) and paying really good attention.  Please believe me when I say that when I sewed when tired, I had to rip out the next day.  It looks kinda cool, so it was worth it.  I'll add it to the gallery on the website after it's quilted.  

The wedding ring quilt made it to the wedding.   Since I didn't want to mail it or check it, it had to be carry-on.  Actually, everything I took was carry-on.  In order to make it a manageable size, it spent a few hours in a space bag and went in my large tote bag.  Being vacuum packed for a day worked fine.  It came right back to its previous loft.  The wedding was lovely and we had a great time.  I'm ready for a few smaller projects now.  

Quilt because it's fun!
Candy










No comments:

Post a Comment