Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving

Last Tuesday it was dark and rainy all day.  I'd had a head cold for  a week and basically felt like the last poppy of the year:


I was about to embark on a major whine when I saw a picture of Washington, Illinois.  Then I thought about the typhoon damage in the Philippines.  People, I've got nothing to complain about.  And we're having some bright sunshine, which always helps me look on the bright side.

I have these three little Christmas Cacti.  I love them because they don't take much upkeep.  And every year at about Thanksgiving, they bloom.  By Christmas, they're finished, but better early than never.  When the days are short and the nights long, that little bit of cheer is special.


I've often said that I learn something on every quilt I make.  I showed the top of my new quilt a couple of weeks ago (tentatively named "Mother Goes Mod") and last week I got ready to quilt it.  To sandwich the quilt, I lightly spray adhesive on the wrong side of the back (outside, of course) and then  masking tape it to the wood floor in the dining room.  Then I spray one side of the batting, spread it over the back and then add the top.  It's fairly quick (patience is not my best) and works well for me.
Only last week, the tape wouldn't stick to the backing.  I thought maybe the tape was old and got a different roll.  Same problem.  It got really frustrating really fast.  It took me a while, but I think I have it figured out.

I usually wash all my fabric as soon as it comes in the door.  Because I was using a layer cake for this project and I needed all ten inches of the squares, I didn't wash them and I didn't wash any of the other fabrics that went into it, including the backing.  (Imagine a tiny light going on here.)  Whatever finish is added to the fabric by the manufacturer is usually washed out.  But since I didn't wash these fabrics . . .

I finally just layered fabrics and batting, turned them over, smoothed out the back, turned it over and smoothed the front.  Checked the back one more time and started quilting.  So far, so good.  Live and learn.


On most of it I'm quilting from the back, using the flowered fabric as a guide.  Where that fabric appears on the front, I quilt from the front.  I'm using the same Aurifil thread on the top and in the bobbin.  It should be finished by the end of the week and next week I'll work on directions so the pattern will be ready by the first of the year.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment