Friday, May 4, 2012

Some Weeks are Like That

My dance card is officially full.  Between an extra day at work, cleaning up after dogs who think new topsoil is for playing in and a couple of patterns needing to be written, it's been one of those weeks.  This is not to say that no quilting activities have happened.  It's just that not enough have happened to please me.

Life has a way of distracting me.  From mopping the kitchen to grocery shopping, planting a few flowers, and adding a quart of oil to my car, it's always something.  I used to think I could somehow actually finish all the real-life chores and just quilt.  Apparently that's not how life really works.  The need for clean clothes and a reasonably nutritious dinner just never goes away.

Now that we have at least a bit of sunshine every day, I find myself needing to clean and simplify.  I made a list of my UFO's to organize and prioritize.  I think I can confidently say that there are a lot.  Not only that, but some neatness needs to happen in the studio.

When I'm in the throes of designing or making a quilt,  I'm not focused on putting stuff away.  At some point,  the mess is just distracting, so the aim is to clean up between projects.  The problem is that one project flows into the next and taking the time to tidy up gets procrastinated away.  Finally, I realize that I'm spending way too much time looking for things and it's time to create a neatness.

I would show before and after pictures, but it will be more efficient (and certainly less embarrassing) to just dig in.  I will ignore the dirty dog footprints on the kitchen floor, throw in a load of laundry and make my workspace beautiful again!

Wish me luck.  I'm gonna need it.

Candy

No comments:

Post a Comment